If you’ve ever struggled with your weight, your health, or digestion, then do we have the Proteinaholic Show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Dr. Garth Davis, surgeon and leader in the field of bariatric medicine and the best-selling author of a fascinating book Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It.
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about how our obsession with protein is killing us without us knowing it, and what in the world we can do about it.
That plus we’ll talk about the power of blue zones, cholesterol and eyes, the Pima and the Tarahumara, Siberian yurt’s and krygyz huts, Ironmans and triathlons, and what in the world running stairs and the Houston Chronicle, has to do with anything.
MORE ON DR. GARTH DAVIS:
Dr. Garth Davis, M.D. is the medical director of the Davis Clinic at the Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, and starred on the hit TLC show Big Medicine. He is the author of Proteinaholic. Dr. Davis graduated from the UT in Austin, then completed his surgical residency at The University of Michigan. While there, Dr. Davis underwent extensive training in general surgical disciplines, specializing in laparoscopic procedures. He is certifi ed by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Dr. Davis has been named a Texas Monthly “Super Doc” several times, most recently in 2015. Dr. Davis is a recognized expert in initial bariatric procedures as well as revisional bariatric surgery, and frequently lectures on the importance of a plant-based diet. He is dedicated to helping people discover the foods and adopt the behaviors that can lead to a healthy and happy life. Now that he’s a totally recovered Proteinaholic, Dr. Davis competes in marathons and Ironman triathlons. He lives in Houston with his family, a shy cat, and an absurdly large dog.
Dr. Garth Davis Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- What TV show did Dr. Garth Davis star in?
- How did Dr. Garth Davis get into gastric bypass surgery?
- What did they teach about nutrition in medical school
- What is cholesterol in the eyes?
- What diet did he recommend to his patients?
- What happened when the Houston Chronicle did a photo shoot with Dr. Garth Davis?
- What are the different diets around the world?
- What’s a proteinaholic?
- How did we become proteinaholics?
- What’s wrong with atkins?
- What’s the challenge with paleo?
- What can we learn from the Pima Native Americans and the Tarahumara
- What are the dangers of too much protein?
- What does protein have to do with cancer?
- And what does protein have to do with heart disease?
- What do we need to know about gall stones and kidney stones?
- What do we need to know about skin rashes?
- What are a few key myths about protein?
- What can we learn about brittle bones?
- And Hypothyroid?
- How does protein affect weight loss and obesity?
INSPIRE #157: Why Your “Healthy” Diet May Be Hurting You & What You Can Do About It! (T Colin Campbell, The China Study)
INSPIRE #150: Nutrition Science That Can Save Your Life & Help You Feel Better Today! (Joel Fuhrman, MD, The End of Dieting)
How Not to Die! Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent & Reverse Disease (Dr. Michael Greger)
INSPIRE #332: How to Lose Weight through Mindfulness! + Meditation! (Ruth Q. Wolever PhD, “The Mindful Diet”)
INSPIRE #269: How to Lose Weight while Never Dieting Again (Traci Mann PhD, “Secrets from the Eating Lab”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.