INSPIRE #332: How to Lose Weight through Mindfulness! + Meditation!
Ruth Wolever, PhD Shares How The Mindful Diet Helps You Lose Weight & Keep it Off! + Guided Meditation!
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY RUTH WOLEVER:
If you’ve ever struggled with food, what to eat, when to eat, or how to keep from eating too much then do we have the mindful eating show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with Dr. Ruth Wolever, Director of Vanderbilt Health Coaching, Founding Research Director for Duke Integrative Medicine, and the Chief Scientific Officer for eMindful. She’s a nationally recognized expert on Health and Wellness Coaching, and one of the elected leaders of the National Consortium for Credentialing Health and Wellness Coaches and the co-author of a fantastic book on changing your eating habits, The Mindful Diet: How to Transform Your Relationship with Food for Lasting Weight Loss and Vibrant Health.
Today we’ll talk about just that, about transforming your relationship with food, for lasting weight loss, vibrant health, and better control over what you eat and when.
That plus we’ll talk about stealth calories, calorie bombs, the goldlocks principle, why you want to graze like a cow, and why you don’t want barbeque flavored cardboard, and what in the world is a whoppie pie moment?
MORE ON RUTH WOLEVER:
Ruth Q. Wolever, PhD is an Associate Professor of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, with secondary appointments in the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and the School of Nursing. Ruth also serves as the Director of Vanderbilt Health Coaching through the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine. She is a clinical health psychologist with 22 years of experience designing, implementing, and evaluating behavior change programs for medical patients and those at risk for chronic disease. Ruth is a national leader in the study of mindfulness-based approaches to self-regulation and lifestyle change (particularly stress and eating behaviors, binge eating, weight loss and weight loss maintenance), as well as innovative treatments for medication adherence, insomnia, tinnitus, and other stress-related disorders. As Chief Science Officer for eMindful, she is also invested in disseminating evidence-based mindfulness programs through eMindful. In addition, Ruth is a nationally recognized expert on Health and Wellness Coaching and one of the elected leaders of the National Consortium for Credentialing Health and Wellness Coaches (ncchwc.org), a non-profit organization that has launched the first national certification for health and wellness coaches in the United States. Prior to joining Vanderbilt, Ruth was the Founding Research Director for Duke Integrative Medicine and an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke School of Medicine. Her clinical research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health (NCCAM – now NCCIH, Office of Women’s Health, NHLBI, and NIDCD), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, industry, and philanthropy. Ruth co-authored The Mindful Diet, released last year by Simon & Schuster. Ruth has served as an expert in emotional health and behavior change for Everyday Health on the web, for GlaxoSmithKline, for Nurtur (a fully-owned subsidiary of Centene), for the Samueli Institute, for Nokia, and for clinics on better integrating behavioral health into primary care models.
- What does chocolate chip cookie dough have to do with anything.
- Why comfort foods are meant to keep calling, no matter how healthy you are
- What is mindless, not mindful, automatic eating
- Why what we see is what we eat
- What’s the endless bowl of soup?
- Tell us about the Wheel of Health
- Why stress leads to belly fat
- What stress has to do with diet and eating
- How mindfulness can help with eating and nutrition
- How Jon Kabat-Zinn describes and defines mindfulness
- What’s the science behind mindfulness
- Why dieting is stacked against someone and not sustainable
- How to use mindfulness to learn more about yourself
- How breathing can help with mindfulness
- How do we flex our kindness muscle?
- What’s the goldilocks principle
- What are the biggest mistakes around when we eat
- Why it’s so important to slow down when I eat
- What are the four pillars of healthy eating
- How do we eat for blood sugar balance
- What’s it mean to eat a plant based diet?
- Why it’s so important to eat whole foods
- What’s a calorie bomb?
- How frequently should you eat?
- What are hidden calories
- What’s a whoopee pie moment?
- What’s the benefit of an attitude of gratitude
- Why it’s not important to join the clean plate club
- Key eating tips for kids
- emindful.com (chief scientific officer),
- Left Duke, now at Vanderbilt
INSPIRE #269: How to Lose Weight while Never Dieting Again (Traci Mann PhD, “Secrets from the Eating Lab”)
INSPIRE #171: The Secret to Eating the Foods You Love, Regaining Your Health & Losing Weight for Good! ( John McDougall, MD, “The Starch Solution”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment