INSPIRE #282: Lessons from a Wolf Called Romeo
Nick Jans shares the amazing story and life of A Wolf Called Romeo who befriended the city of Juneau, Alaska.
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY NICK JANS:
Today, I’ll be talking with Nick Jans, award-winning writer and photographer, and author of numerous books including The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell’s Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears, and A Wolf Called Romeo, a wild wolf that for many years became a part of the Juneau community.
Donate and help the Black Wolf Special Fund: http://juneaucf.org/blackwolf.html
Todays we’ll talk about the story of the Wolf called Romeo, about wild animals in general, and about their intelligence and their presence.
That plus we’ll talk about larceny on the ice, how Romeo was a Don Juan, and what in the world Sugar making whoopee with Teddy Precious has to do with anything!
MORE ON NICK JANS:
Best-selling author Nick Jans is one of Alaska’s most recognized and prolific writers. A longtime contributing editor to Alaska Magazine and a member of USA Today’s board of editorial contributors, he’s written twelve books and hundreds of magazine articles and columns, and has contributed to many anthologies and other books. Jans is also a professional nature photographer, specializing in Alaska wildlife, landscapes, and Native cultures in remote locations. He has been the recipient of numerous writing awards over the years, and his photo exhibit, Visions of Wild Alaska, is currently being shown on all Princess Cruises ships in Alaska waters. An accomplished public speaker, he makes multimedia presentations on a variety of Alaska-related subjects, including wildlife and natural history, climate change in Alaska, development versus preservation, and his first love, wolves and grizzlies.
Jans lived for 20 years in northwest arctic Alaska, and currently resides out the Haines Highway with his wife, Sherrie, and their dogs, and travels widely in Alaska. He returns each year to the arctic Inupiaq village of Ambler, and the surrounding country he calls home. He is currently working on several book projects, including a long-simmering literary novel set in the Arctic; a collection of Alaska animal essays; and another book with photographer Mark Kelley, on the Mendenhall Glacier.
Nick Jans Online: Website
Black Wolf Special Fund: http://juneaucf.org/blackwolf.html
- How he met the wolf called Romeo
- How every dog is 98% wolf
- How the wolf called Romeo came back and back and back
- How Nick ended up living in eskimo villages and became a nature writer.
- Who were the Eskimos he lived with, the Inupiaq – “The Real People”
- What Eskimo’s taught him about Nature and the animals
- What he learned about animals having souls, and how a wolf or caribou may not be just our equal, but may well be our superior in certain respects
- What the history is between humans and the wolf
- How the wolf played with dog and got to know the people of Juneau as well
- How Romeo the wolf absconded with tennis balls and other toys
- What happened between Harry Robinson and the wolf
- How he was forebearant of other dogs, even when ganged up by two German Shephers.
- How Romeo the Wolf made the cover of the paper.
- What was Romeo here to teach us
- Why Nick was meant to witness Nick’s story and to tell it.
- How this wolf was a true miracle of God.
- What happened to the wolf
- How the wolf was seen in people’s dreams
- How 113,000 people go to the ER each year from toilets
- 47000 in 2014 died from accidents
- The power of nature to soothe yourself
- What we can learn from his book The Giant’s Hand, about his time living with the Eskimos.
- How Nature and animals make us more present and mindful
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.