How to Break Free From Anxiety, Phobias & Worry Using Mindfulness!
Discover How Mindfulness Techniques & ACT – Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helps You Tame the Anxiety Monster & Turn Fear Into Your Greatest Ally to Shine Bright!
Listen to the Podcast Below!
Bonus: Meditation with Dr. John P. Forsyth
Relaxing ‘Kind & Gentle Hands’ Mindfulness Meditation to Help Overcome Worries, Fears, Phobias or Concerns & Gain Inner Peace.
If so, then do we have the show for you!
Today we’re talking with Dr. John P. Forsyth, PhD, an internationally recognized author, speaker, and trainer in the use of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and practices that cultivate mindfulness, loving kindness, and compassion. He’s also the best-selling co-author of The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
I’m excited for this talk, because in our day and age, it’s almost impossible to escape anxiety and fear, and John might even say it’s helpful for us.
So today we’ll be talking about what anxiety, fear, phobias and worry are all about, and how you can stop pushing them away, but instead break free from them, so you can feel better, experience greater freedom, and live the life you want to live. That plus why you don’t want to scratch the anxiety itch, special uses for bubble wands, why you should never tune in to Anxiety Radio, and why you must never, never ever think of pink elephants – beginning right now!
- Why fear and anxiety are good for us.
- How common anxiety disorders are these days
- Why our wiring helped us survive, but doesn’t work so well in the modern world.
- Why fear is not the enemy, but could be your best friend
- Having kindness and compassion for your fear and anxiety
- Why anxiety is not a choice, but the choice is what you do with it once it shows up!
- What is Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
- Why it’s impossible to push thoughts away, but instead need to accept them.
- Why working with our mind is a tug-a-war.
- Importance of the funeral meditation and the power of our own mortality.
- Why the most difficult or terrible moments help wake us up, and how to wake up WITHOUT needing them!
- Why identifying the fear is so powerful!
- Steps to overcome Anxiety
- How to “drop the rope” to make space for new possibilities
- How to have a tug of war with the Anxiety Monster
- How to observe the panic from the role of the observer (like in Buddhism)
- How our mind used to serve us, but now can get in the way.
- How our struggle ties us up, and our values can set you free.
- Why numbing yourself with meditation is NOT the answer.
- Why being a mouse in a bucket of cream can be fantastic!
- Why we need to slow down when we fall into the bucket of anxiety and fear.
- How to kick fear out of the driver’s seat in the Life Bus.
- The importance of a bubble-wand.
- How to listen to your heart
- How to discover your values and get clarity
- Mindfulness. Commitment. And Change.
- Model with your kids that it’s okay to feel what you feel and think what you think.
- How do we bring the same love and care to ourselves that we bring to our kids
MORE ON DR. JOHN P. FORSYTH:
John is an internationally recognized author, speaker, and trainer in the use of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and practices that cultivate mindfulness, loving kindness (Metta), and compassion. For over 20 years, his work has focused on developing ACT and mindfulness practices to alleviate human suffering, awaken the human spirit, and to nurture psychological health and vitality. His personal journey and experience, balanced with practical insights grounded in scientific evidence, offers hope to those wishing to find a path out of suffering and into wholeness.
He has written several popular ACT books, including Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Anxiety Disorders (for mental health professionals), and three self-help books for the public: The Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety, and ACT on Life, Not on Anger, and your Life on Purpose. A second edition of his best selling Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety is due to appear in bookstores and on Amazon in April 2016.
John holds a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, and is a Professor of Psychology and Director the Anxiety Disorders Research Program at the University at Albany, SUNY in Upstate New York. He is a licensed clinical psychologist in New York, with expertise in the use and application of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for several forms of psychological and emotional suffering. He is also widely sought after ACT trainer and consultant and serves as a senior editor of the ACT book series with New Harbinger Publications.
John regularly gives talks and workshops to the public and professionals in the United States and abroad, and offers ACT trainings at the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies in Rhinebeck, NY, where he serves as a member of the teaching faculty.
He is known to infuse his teaching and trainings with energy, humility and compassion, and his down-to earth workshops are consistently praised for their clarity, depth and utility.
Collectively, his work has helped foster growing interest in acceptance and mindfulness in psychology, mental health, medicine, and society.
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
*Note: On your PayPal statement, you will see your donation made to “RunBare Inc.” Rest assured, your donation is going to the right place. Thank you!
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.