INSPIRE #193: How to Meditate Like a Zen Buddhist Master – Even While Being Chased by Godzilla!
Brad Warner – Zen Monk, Punk Bassist & Monster (Godzilla) Movie Marketer Shares Secrets to Zen, Monkhood & Meditation, & How To Meditate Like a Zen Monk Almost Instantly!
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY BRAD WARNER:
If things feel too complicated to you today, whether it’s your work, your homelife, or even your spiritual or meditation practice, then do we have the show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Brad Warner, a Soto Zen Priest, punk bassist, film-maker, Japanese monster-movie marketer and author of Sit Down and Shut Up, Hardcore Zen, Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate, and his latest, Don’t Be a Jerk: And Other Practical Advice from Dogen, Japan’s Greatest Zen Master.
Today I want to talk with Brad about simplicity, about what zen really is, what it means, and how in the world it can help today, more than ever. And what in the world it means like to meditate like a Buddhist.
That plus we’ll talk about the Flintstones, Loch Ness monster, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and why Star Trek really was WAY cooler than Lost in Space.
MORE ON BRAD WARNER:
Brad Warner is the author of Don’t Be a Jerk and numerous other titles including Sit Down & Shut Up, Hardcore Zen, and Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate. A Soto Zen priest, he is a punk bassist, filmmaker, Japanese-monster-movie marketer, and popular blogger based in Los Angeles.
- Do you have a Godzilla collection?
- How’d you become a monster movie marketer?
- How and when Brad Warner got into Zen Buddhism
- How Brad lived in Kenya while he was growing up.
- How Brad got into punk rock
- Why a Zen Buddhist is the ultimate rebel?
- “How am I the status quo???”
- How Zen Buddhism practice is ‘dirt simple’.
- Who is Zen Buddhist Master Dogen?
- How meditation gets you to naturally question things.
- What’s a monk of a different style?
- How Brad Warner is an ordained soto lineage monk.
- What does Monkhood mean for things like dating?
- What does ‘ethical behavior’ mean for a monk?
- If an elephant’s chasing you, why it’s okay to run up a tree.
- What celibacy did and did not mean for Zen monks in the past.
- How most of Buddhism has gotten really complicated
- What does it mean to think the thought of not thinking?
- What’s the importance of ignoring your own thoughts –
- Why you don’t want to try stopping or suppressing your own thoughts.
- What is a goalless practice?
- What surfers riding the Eisbach in Germany has to do with anything
- What Santa Claus and the Easter bunny have to do with existence
- What is the Zen definition of existence?
- What it means to be ‘waves on an ocean’?
- What is ‘freaky Buddhist philosophy stuff’?
- What is Osoji, the big cleaning?
- What is house-cleaning of the mind?
- What does Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind by Shunyu Suzuki have to do with a big cleaning?
- Why mindfulness could be moving too fast?
- What you want to do (when meditating) to make sure you don’t ‘freak out’
- How balance brings him the woo-hoo.
- What’s the #1 thing Brad Warner learned from Dogen?
- Why you want to take a little time out each day to pause and not add any stimulus
- Why ‘reading about the practice is not the practice’.
- How do we begin to practice zazen?
- Why you want to meditate as long as you can stand it, and then…
- What to do when thoughts come up and you’re meditating
- What’s to do if someone can’t sit to meditate
INSPIRE #173: How to Achieve Personal Excellence without Adding to Your Schedule! (Matt Tenney, “The Mindfulness Edge”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
*Note: On your PayPal statement, you will see your donation made to “RunBare Inc.” Rest assured, your donation is going to the right place. Thank you!
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment