If you, a loved one, or a child feels frustrated, anxious, foggy-brained, stressed out, moody, depressed, withdrawn, or ready-to-explode or melt-down, then do we have a special show for you!
Today I’m talking with psychiatrist Dr. Victoria Dunckley, who’s been featured on the Today show, NBC Nightly News and the Discovery Channel. We’ll be talking about her groundbreaking book,Reset Your Child’s Brain: A Four-Week Plan to End Meltdowns, Raise Grades, and Boost Social Skills by Reversing the Effects of Electronic Screen-Time
But don’t the title fool you, we’ll be talking about resetting our brains as well. Today we’ll talk ESS – Electronic Screen Syndrome, something you’re likely unfamiliar with, but that’s wreaking havoc on all of our lives…and the kids are getting is worst.
So we’ll talk about how electronics may be affect us and our kids much more than we think, affecting our ability to think, concentrate, have relationships, do our best at home, work or school, and why it leaves us exhausted even after a night’s sleep.
We’ll talk about what’s going on, why we should be concerned, and what in the world we can do about it.
Plus we’ll look at the dangers of Pokemon, why watching TV may be the least of our concerns, and why the iPad we’ve come to know and love, may not be what we think it is.
MORE ON VICTORIA L. DUNCKLEY, MD:
Victoria L. Dunckley, MD, one of the leading psychiatrists practicing integrative, holistic psychiatry with children, is a prominent and award-winning voice for greater understanding of the effects of electronic screen media, the environment, diet, and medication on health and behavior. She practices in Los Angeles, CA, and has been a featured expert on the Today show, NBC Nightly News, and the Discovery Channel. She is the author of “Reset Your Child’s Brain: A Four Week Plan to End Meltdowns, Raise Grades & Boost Social Skills by Reversing the Effects of Electronic Screen Time.”
Victoria L. Dunckley, MD Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Book Website: www.ResetYourChildsBrain.com
- How Dr. Dunckley discovered and coined the term electronic screen syndrome.
- How executive functions (attention, switching tasks, and memory) are affected by electronics.
- What is electronic screen syndrome
- Why it’s affecting adults as well
- And why all kids are being affected by ESS – Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) Aspergers, even kids with Autisum
- How computer screens age us prematurely
- How screens act as a stimulant
- Different ways we’re affected by our screens (whether a phone, a computer screen or anything else)
- Why it’s hard to switch from your computer screen to other tasks, such as conversations
- Why Facebook is a huge challenge for our brains.
- How can you tell if it’s affecting you or your kids?
- Why this book was written
- Is it a problem of screen size?
- Why watching a TV may be better than doing something active on your smart phone
- What is a 4 week electronic fast for kids?
- What’s the difference between ESS and EMF
- How screen time affects our sleep – and what we need to do about it.
- What are rules of thumb for adults and kids?
- How do we know if we’re addicted to our electronics or screen time?
- What is green time and how can it help?
- How to problem-solve for parents to be able to do a 28 day electronics fast.
- Why parents may fear trying the fast, but why it gets much easier very quickly.
- How do parents remove electronics when they’re faced with electronics at school
- Is there a way for parents to keep electronics away from kids when they’re young?
INSPIRE #140: How to Upgrade Your Brain for Greater Success, Happiness, Health & Well-Being (Marcus Conyers, Positively Smarter)
Make Your Brain Smarter At Any Age (Dr. Michael Merzenich, Posit Science)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.