MORE ON DR. SAMPSON DAVIS:
Dr. Sampson Davis is an emergency room physician, public speaker, philanthropist, and New York Times bestselling author.
He was raised as the fifth of six children in Newark, one of New Jersey’s poorest cities. As a child, Dr. Davis grew up in cramped living quarters, surrounded by fragmented families, crime, and drugs. Still, he was a good student, able to strike the fragile balance between being smart, yet socially acceptable on the streets. It was this skill, Dr. Davis says, that was most critical to his survival.
While attending University High in Newark, he met Rameck Hunt and George Jenkins, two fellow students who together made a promise to become doctors. Today, all three have fulfilled their pact. In 2000, during his residency, Drs. Davis, Hunt, and Jenkins felt the burning need to give back and together they created The Three Doctors Foundation. The non-profit organization offers a series of free public programs focused on health, education, leadership and mentoring. (www.threedoctorsfoundation.org)
Dr. Davis has appeared on numerous talk and radio shows including Oprah, The Today Show, The View, and Tavis Smiley NPR, as well as in print publications including Readers Digest, O Magazine, People, Washington Post, NY Times, USA Today, Vibe and Black Enterprise. Oprah Winfrey delivered her highest honor to Dr. Davis, naming him, “The Premiere Role Model of the World.”
Dr. Davis has co-authored many New York Times bestselling books. His titles include: The Pact, We Beat the Street, The Bond, and Living and Dying in Brick City: An ER Doctor Returns Home. Dr. Davis was honored in 2000 with the Essence Lifetime Achievement Award as well as named one of their forty most inspirational African Americans in the country. He is the youngest physician to receive the National Medical Association highest honor, The Scroll of Merit, and was honored on national television with the 2009 BET Awards.
Dr. Davis is committed to making a deep and positive impact on the world and is determined to inspire others to find the STUFF within themselves. Dr. Davis resides with his family in his home state of New Jersey.
MORE ON SHARLEE JETER:
Sharlee Jeter is the president of the Turn 2 Foundation, which was established by her brother, baseball legend Derek Jeter. The Turn 2 Foundation creates and supports signature programs and activities that motivate young people to turn away from drugs and alcohol and “Turn 2” healthy lifestyles.
As president, Sharlee has identified innovative ways to build the organization, creating special fundraising and programing events that further promote the Foundation’s mission, forging key branding opportunities and partnerships that have increased exposure and corporate support. Sharlee has helped the foundation successfully channel its fundraising power into results, as demonstrated by its signature initiative, Jeter’s Leaders, a leadership development program for high school students. The program has seen 100 percent of its participants go to college upon graduating the program since 2008, and has placed Leaders in 135 paid internships over the last five years.
Under her leadership, the Turn 2 Foundation has increased revenue and welcomed major new corporate partners. Working with organizations and individuals across the worlds of sports, business and media, Sharlee played a central role in elevating the profile of Turn 2, which is now among the most visible nonprofits in the United States. In addition to her work with the Foundation, Sharlee oversees the children’s division of Jeter Publishing, an imprint of Simon & Schuster launched in 2014 that has released New York Times Bestsellers; The Contract and its followup, Hit & Miss.
Sharlee was raised in Kalamazoo, Michigan and went on to receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics in 2001 from Spelman College in Atlanta. When she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in her senior year, giving in to cancer was never an option. Sharlee finished school, while undergoing chemotherapy treatments, and won her battle with cancer. Sharlee enjoys a successful career dedicated to improving the lives of youth, and encouraging them to develop the STUFF within themselves. Sharlee lives in New York City with her son Jalen.
Dr. Sampson Davis & Sharlee Jeter Online: Website| Facebook| Twitter
- What was life for Dr. Sampson Davis like growing up by the projects?
- What happened when he got in trouble with the law?
- What happened to him while in jail?
- What miracle allowed him to move forward?
- How did Sharlee Jeter (Derek Jeter’s sister) handle cancer at 21?
- How did she manage to stay in college?
- How did the experience change her for life?
- What is “The Stuff” each of them had to survive?
- What was “The Pact” Dr. Sampson Davis made with two other students in inner-city Newark, and how did it make them famous?
- What happened at the end of the sophomore year for Dr. Davis, and how did it change him?
- How’d he become one of the top ER docs out there?
- What can we learn from John O’Leary about hope?
- What is the point of choice?
- What’s a personal motivation statement?
- What’s the mantra of three D’s (Dedication, Determination, Discipline)?
- What does it mean to “launch” and why must we launch???
- What can we learn from the founder of Boogie Wipes?
- What’s the necessity of taking action (and a launch deadline?)
- What’s it mean to “develop your team?”
- What’s it mean to embrace fear, not avoid it?
- Do we all have what it takes?
- What’s it mean to stay open to unforeseen inspiration?
- What’s the importance of flipping negatives into positives?
- How do we do this?
- What one homework assignment can help us all begin discovering our own “stuff’???
- For more Info Visit: TheStuffMovement.com
INSPIRE #843: HOW TO BLAST PAST NEGATIVE SELF-TALK & ADDICTION! (Darryl Strawberry, “Don’t Give Up On Me”)
INSPIRE #787: HOW TO UNMASK YOUR GREATNESS & LET GO OF WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK! + Guided Meditation (Sandra Joseph, “Unmasking What Matters”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.