MORE ON DEAN SLUYTER:
Dean Sluyter (pronounced “slighter”) has taught natural methods of meditation and awakening since 1970. His five highly acclaimed books include Natural Meditation (Amazon #1 stress management bestseller, and Nautilus Gold Medal winner for best mind-body-spirit book) and Fear Less: Living Beyond Fear, Anxiety, Anger, and Addiction. Dean gives talks, workshops, and retreats throughout the United States and beyond, from Ivy League colleges to maximum-security prisons. His media appearances have included National Public Radio, The New York Times, New York Magazine, Coast to Coast AM, The Dr. Oz Show, and O, The Oprah Magazine.
A grateful student of Eastern and Western sages in several traditions, Dean has completed numerous pilgrimages and retreats in India, Tibet, Nepal, and the West. He is known for conveying authentic teachings in forms that are relaxed, accessible, and down-to-earth. When not writing or teaching, he narrates audiobooks, makes music, and happily tools around town on his Vespa.
Born into a family of musicians and political activists, Dean grew up in New York and Los Angeles. He dropped out of college to hitchhike around the country and embark on a path of spiritual investigation, eventually returning to earn a B.A. in English and an M.A. in interdisciplinary education.
Dean lived in New Jersey for 33 years, where he was married to the late artist and teacher Maggy Sluyter, with whom he raised two children. There he taught English and developed classroom meditation
programs at The Pingry School and worked with inmates at Northern State Prison. He now lives in Santa Monica, California, where he leads meditation sessions regularly and is on the faculty of the West Coast Writers Conferences. He is married to documentary filmmaker Yaffa Lerea
Dean is dedicated to sharing what he has learned from his teachers and his own years of meditative practice. He is happy to travel anywhere to offer talks, workshops, and retreats that are relaxed and lively, adapted to the specific needs of the sponsoring group. Over the years, he has taught at universities, wellness centers, corporations, professional organizations, yoga studios, houses of worship, and prisons, as well as such venues as Chautauqua Institution and New York Open Center. His teaching style is noted for its clarity, warmth, and humor. To arrange an event, email Dean.
Dean Sluyter Online: Website | Twitter | Facebook
- What did Dean learn from his early years of fear in school?
- How’d he go from softball to teaching mantras in prison?
- What brings him such great joy about working with prison inmates?
- Why are the inmates so motivated?
- How can meditation change ones life?
- Does meditation have to be difficult?
- What does easy meditation look like?
- Why shouldn’t meditation be “work”?
- What’s it mean to breathe through your feet?
- What is a hypometabolic state and why do we want to achieve it?
- What does it mean to rest as awareness?
- What are on-ramps to bliss?
- What’s the free way to meditation?
- What is a Darth Vader voice?
- What is object gazing?
- And sky gazing?
- How can meditating in a hammock help?
- How do we use an on-ramp and then forget it?
- What can we learn from Bob Marley about meditation?
- What does our posture have to do with meditation?
- What’s the importance of being kinder than necessary?
INSPIRE #694: THE BRAIN SCIENCE BEHIND MEDITATION & MINDFULNESS – AND HOW TO BEGIN! Culadasa (John Yates, PhD) “The Mind Illuminated”)
INSPIRE #767: HOW TO MEDITATE FOR FIDGETY SKEPTICS! + Mindfulness! (Jeff Warren, “Meditation For Fidgety Skeptics”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.