MORE ON MARK MATOUSEK:
Marl was born in Los Angeles on February 5, 1957, graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1979, and received a fellowship to Worcester College, Oxford, the following year, with an M.A. in English Literature from the UCLA in 1981.
After graduation, He moved to New York, where he worked as a stringer for Reuters, International, then in Newsweek Magazine’s letter department, before being hired as a proofreader at Andy Warhol’s Interview Magazine. He was the magazine’s first staff writer, and became senior editor the following year, conducting hundreds of interviews with figures well known in film, television, books, fine art, politics, design and science. In 1985, he quit his job and spent most of following decade as an itinerant dharma bum and freelance journalist, traveling between Europe, India, and the United States. Shifting professional gears from pop culture to psychology, philosophy and religion, he was a contributing editor to Common Boundary Magazine, where my back page column, The Naked Eye, appeared from 1994-1999. He received a National Magazine Award nomination for “America’s Darkest Secret” (about the epidemic of incest in the U.S.) and published essays in numerous magazines, including The New Yorker, Details, O: The Oprah Magazine, Tricycle, The Utne Reader, AARP Magazine, Out, Good Housekeeping, and Harper’s Bazaar.
After working with Sogyal Rimpoche on The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, he collaborated with religious writer Andrew Harvey on Dialogues With A Modern Mystic (interviewing Harvey for Britain’s Channel One documentary of the same name). His first book, Sex Death Enlightenment: A True Story (1996) became an international bestseller published in ten countries and nominated for two Books for a Better Life Awards. Having served as co-editor on Ram Dass’s book, Still Here, he published his second memoir in 2000, The Boy He Left Behind: A Man’s Search for His Lost Father (Los Angeles Times Discovery Book, Randy Shilts Award, excerpted in the Sunday supplement of the London Guardian). He’s taught creative non-fiction writing at Manhattanville College and published essays in numerous anthologies, including Wrestling With the Angel, Voices of the Millenium, A Memory, A Monologue, a Rant and a Prayer, Oprah’s Best Life. He is also a contributing editor to O: The Oprah Magazine, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review and a frequent blogger for The Huffington Post. His most recent book is When You’re Falling, Dive: Lessons in the Art of Living (2008). Also, I’m collaborating with Eve Ensler as the Creative Director of V-Men (the male arm of VDay, Ensler’s organization for ending violence against women and girls) and curate their online essay series (www.vday.com). Currently, I am at work on a performance piece called “Ten Ways To Be a Man,” which will serve as V-Men’s artistic vehicle and will premier in September, 2011.
Ethical Wisdom: What Makes Us Good is available now
Mark Matousek Online: Website| Facebook| Twitter
- What was spirituality like for Mark growing up?
- What life-changing event happened to him on August 2, 1984?
- How’d he end up going to Germany?
- And what was the spiritual experience that took place?
- Who is Mother Meera?
- What was her early childhood like?
- What were the high fevers she was getting and what was happening?
- What happened to her when she was six?
- How did she end up working as a servant?
- What happened to her on December 12, 1974 and what is Paratman’s light?
- What is Darshan?
- What is Mother Meera doing when she holds someone’s head?
- And what is she doing when she gazes with someone afterwards?
- What does she mean, “first you must accept God with your mind, then belief grows in your heart.”
- What does spiritual surrender mean?
- What are a few of Mother Meera’s essential teachings?
- What is Japa?
- What is Devotion?
- What does she teach about spiritual experiences or “pyrotechnics”?
- What does she teach about meditation?
- And why does she say meditation is not for everyone?
- What’s the importance of sincerity?
- What’s the importance of faith and doubt?
- What does she say is the only real sin?
- What does she mean, if we do not forgive, we cannot be called human?
- What does she teach about emotions?
- What does she mean that the mind is a good servant but a terrible master?
- Is suffering necessary?
- What is her work ethic like?
- What does Mother Meera say about gurus and teacher?
- What’s the power of silence to Mother Meera?
- What is one thing Mother Meera would want for us more than anything else?
- To find out more visit: markmatousek.com
INSPIRE #606: HOW TO PROVE YOU’RE A SPIRITUAL BEING, LIVING A HUMAN EXISTENCE! (Richard Gordon, “The Secret Nature Of Matter”)
INSPIRE #403: HOW TO GET GUIDANCE FROM YOUR SOUL!!! + Meditation! (Colleen Mauro, “Spiritual Telepathy”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.