Today I’ll be talking with best-selling author and visionary Michael Gelb, a pioneer in the field of creative thinking, a 5th degree black belt in Aikido, the author of 14 books including How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day, and his latest, perhaps the most kind and compassionate take on leadership and relationships I’ve ever read, The Art of Connection: 7 Relationship-Building Skills Every Leader Needs Now.
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about 7 relationship building skills every leader and you need to know.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST BELOW:
OR WATCH THE VIDEO:
BOOKS BY MICHAEL GELB:
MORE ON MICHAEL GELB:
Michael J. Gelb is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development. He is a pioneer in the fields of creative thinking, accelerated learning, and innovative leadership. Gelb leads seminars for organizations such as DuPont, Merck, Microsoft, Nike, Roche and YPO. He brings more than 35 years of experience as a professional speaker, seminar leader and organizational consultant to his diverse, international clientele.
Michael Gelb is the author of 15 books on creativity and innovation including the international best seller How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day. (1998) How to Think Like Leonardo has been translated into 25 languages and has appeared on The Washington Post, Amazon, and The New York Times best seller lists.
In 2007 Gelb released Innovate Like Edison: The Five Step System for Breakthrough Business Success, co-authored with Sarah Miller Caldicott, the great grand niece of Thomas Edison. As Professor Vijay Govindarajan, author of Ten Rules for Strategic Innovators noted, “This book is a must have for anyone who wants to turn creative ideas into profitable reality.”
In 1999, Michael Gelb won the Brain Trust Charity’s “Brain of the Year” award; other honorees include Prof. Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, Garry Kasparov and Gene Rodenberry. In 2003, Michael was awarded a Batten Fellowship by the University of Virginia’s Darden Graduate School of Business. Michael co-directs the acclaimed Leading Innovation Seminar at Darden with Professor James Clawson. From 2008 to 2012, Michael Gelb also served as the Director of Creativity and Innovation Leadership for the Conscious Capitalism Institute.
A former professional juggler who once performed with the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, Gelb introduced the idea of teaching juggling as a means to promote accelerated learning and team-building. He is the author of The 5 Keys to High Performance: Juggling Your Way to Success.
A fifth degree black belt in the Japanese martial art of Aikido, Gelb is co-author with International Grandmaster Raymond Keene, of Samurai Chess: Mastering Strategic Thinking Through the Martial Art of the Mind. Michael Gelb is also a certified teacher of the Alexander Technique, (the method taught at The Juilliard School for cultivating commanding stage presence), and the author of the classic work: Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique.
Michael’s 1988 release Present Yourself! Captivate Your Audience with Great Presentation Skills guides readers to develop the communication strategies they need to generate support for their innovative ideas.
Michael has also created many best selling audio programs, including: Mind Mapping: How to Liberate Your Natural Genius, Work Like Da Vinci: Gaining the Creative Advantage in Your Business and Career and The Spirit of Leonardo. Michael’s passion for applying genius thinking to personal and organizational development is also expressed in his Harper Collins release (2002) Discover Your Genius: How To Think Like History’s Ten Most Revolutionary Minds. Published in 2010, Wine Drinking For Inspired Thinking: Uncork Your Creative Juices, offers a unique, original and very enjoyable approach to team building. In 2012, Michael released Brain Power: Improve Your Mind As You Age and in 2014, Creativity On Demand: How to Ignite and Sustain the Fire of Genius. His newest book (September 2017) is The Art of Connection: 7 Relationship-Building Skills Every Leader Needs Now.
- How did Michael Gelb end up becoming a professional juggler for Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones?
- How did he get into martial arts?
- How’d he come to read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, and how did it change his life?
- How did he end up at the place where Freud and Jung first visited when they came to the US.
- What did he study before there was a field of positive psychology?
- How does his early book, How to Think Like Leonardo Da Vinci, tie into the Art of Connection?
- What can we learn from the founders of Wheels Up???
- What does it mean that leaders transmit a positive energy that is uplifting and contagious?
- What does it mean attention and personal energy are the new currencies?
- How do we define leadership in the new world?
- What is a conscious leader?
- What does Conjugere ad Solvendum mean?
- What’s the importance of empathy?
- What is the internet and electronics doing to our brain?
- What’s the importance of getting to nature?
- What are the seven top relationship building skills?
- What’s the importance of humility – and how is it a competitive advantage?
- What’s a high quality connections mindset?
- What’s the importance of engaging in at least one real conversation every day?
- What’s it mean to be a glow worm?
- What’s the spiritual element of the Art of Connection?
- What’s the importance of mindfulness?
- What’s it mean to balance energy and why is it so important?
- What’s the importance of being a great listener?
- What in the world’s a good psychopath?
- How do we raise our empathy quotient?
- What can we learn from aikido about blending?
- How can meditating help?
- A guided meditation
- To find out more visit: http://www.michaelgelb.com
INSPIRE #684: TOP TOOLS TO IMPROVE YOUR RELATIONSHIPS! + Guided Meditation (John Gray, “Beyond Mars And Venus”)
INSPIRE #401: ELEVATE YOUR LIFE & RELATIONSHIPS THRU THE FIVE ELEMENTS!!! (Dondi Dahlin, “The Five Elements”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment