If you’ve ever thought one person couldn’t make a difference, or that you can’t make a difference in the world around you, then do we have the difference-making show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with one of the most heroic people I’ve ever met, even if she wouldn’t call herself one. Her name’s Sally Becker, aka the Angel of Mostar also occasionally known as ‘The Daughter of Mother Theresa”. She’s a true hero of the Balkan conflicts and kids of war everywhere and has rescued and saved the lives of hundreds, if not thousands of children and victims of the tragic wars. She’s also the author of an amazing book, Sunflowers and Snipers: Saving Children in the Balkan War.
Today we’ll talk about what it means to step forward, take chances, and to work to make a difference. That plus we’ll talk about the plight of children in warzones, and what we can do to help.
That, plus we’ll talk about Selma and Mizra, Maja Kajazic, Elmir and Lela, Marigona,
Why, if you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito, what is “maybe” airlines, and what would happen if an arms manufacturer blew up next to a marmalade factory.
MORE ON SALLY BECKER:
Sally’s work as a humanitarian has been well-documented, especially during the war in Bosnia and Kosovo where she rescued sick and wounded children from towns and villages under siege. http://www.sallybecker.co.uk
Amidst the carnage and the chaos, she managed to negotiate ceasefires in areas where others had failed and her evacuation missions became a way of bridging the divide.
In 2008 Sally became a Goodwill Ambassador for Children of Peace, a British based charity dedicated to building friendship trust and reconciliation between Israeli and Palestinian Children.
Sally’s humanitarian work has been recognised with many awards including Unsung Heroes, The Ross McWhirter Award for Bravery, The Variety Club of Great Britain and Woman of the Year, Blue Drop Group Sicily.
In 2012 Sally carried the Olympic Flag for Peace and Justice at the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympic Games.
Sally Becker Online: Website | Twitter
To Help Visit: www.roadtopeaceglobal.org
- How Sally Becker carried the Olympic Torch into the stadium to Muhamad Ali
- What happened when Sally lived on a Kibbutz in Israel
- What happened in May of 1993
- What happened in the Balkans and in parts of Yugoslavia after the fall of the Berlin Wall?
- How a small Jewish community in Mostar found out she was there
- How she helped save a UN convoy while helping Bosnian Muslim kids
- How she ended up saving the lives of children in Bosnia
- How she came under sniper fire while driving an ambulance
- How she began a long career in Humanitarian Aid
- What it means to suffer from ‘Jewish guilt’ and how that’s helped her save children’s lives
- How she rescued 98 sick and wounded kids and there families
- How she became the “Angel of Mostar”
- How Sallybecker.co.uk was made by one of the children rescued by her Operation Angel
- The story of Maya Kazacich
- The story of Elmir and Lela
- What happened when she went to rescue children in Kosovo
- How she rescued children, was arrested, and was shot by an assassin in Kosovo
- What drives Sally Becker to help others
- What happened with the president of Albania
- What happened to Marigona
- What’s happening in Sinjar and to the Yissidi’s by Isis.
- Supported by Scott LaStatey, a producer in LA
How to Climb Your Mountains (Robyn Benincasa, World Adventure Champion & Hero)
INSPIRE #267: How To Go From Fear to Freedom! (Donna Barr, Founder of Bold Actions©)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.