INSPIRE #286: How to Find Happiness in Your Detours!
Amy Oestreicher is a Medical Miracle & Shares How to Discover Happiness in Life’s Toughest Moments as a Detourist + guided meditation!
Listen to the podcast below!
If you’ve ever taken a detour in life, whether physical, spiritual, financial or otherwise, then do we have the detourist show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with Amy Oestreicher, Broadway performer, artist, survivor, Ted-Talker, and incredibly inspiring human being.
Today we’ll be talking about embracing your detours, about learning how to shine, no matter your life circumstance, and turn your detours into flowers.
That plus we’ll talk about sneaking out of the hospital, having graduation in the ICU, the power of edible arrangements, collecting drink containers, how to inhale a pizza…in no time flat, Kathy Lee Gifford and musicals, and what the coolest trick in the world to do with red Kool Aid, on Halloween.
MORE ON AMY OESTREICHER:
Amy Oestreicher is a PTSD peer-to-peer specialist, artist, author, writer for Huffington Post, speaker for TEDx and RAINN, health advocate, survivor, award-winning actress, and playwright, sharing the lessons learned from trauma through her writing, mixed media art, performance and inspirational speaking.
As the creator of the Gutless & Grateful, her one-woman autobiographical musical, she’s toured theatres nationwide, along with a program combining mental health advocacy, sexual assault awareness and Broadway Theatre for college campuses and international conferences. Her original, full-length drama, Imprints, premiered at the NYC Producer’s Club in May 2016, exploring how trauma affects the family as well as the individual. To celebrate her own “beautiful detour”, Amy created the #LoveMyDetour campaign, to help others cope in the face of unexpected events. “Detourism” is also the subject of her TEDx and upcoming book, My Beautiful Detour, available December 2017.
As Eastern Regional Recipient of Convatec’s Great Comebacks Award, she’s contributed to over 70 notable online and print publications, and her story has appeared on NBC’s TODAY, CBS, Cosmopolitan, among others.
She has devised workshops for conferences nationwide, and is this year’s keynote speaker for the Hawaii Pacific Rim International Conference on Diversity and Disability. Learn the art of navigating beautiful detours and sign up for updates atamyoes.com.
- How creating was Amy’s language
- How she found out what an agent was at 8.
- What happened to her at 17 that changed everything.
- What she shared with her mom.
- What happened at the hospital.
- Why you want to check out her Ted Talk on being a Detourist
- What happened when she got out of her coma.
- What’s a honeymoon coma phase?
- How the highlight of her day was brushing her teeth
- What the decadence is of an ice-chip
- How she got reported and kicked out of the hospital
- How the Broadway composer William Finn came in to visit her.
- What does her Ted Talk topic Identity Shattered mean?
- What she was doing to numb out because she literally couldn’t eat
- What was the power of journaling to her?
- How she got back to a happy place and stayed an optimist through the process
- How she went without eating for 6 over the last 10
- How her trust was rewired and how she had to rewire for trust and courage again
- What does it truly mean to be in a place of awareness without judgment (mindfulness)
- What is an ostomy and what’s it mean to get one reversed?
- What is a detourist?
- What’s the #lovemydetour campaign?
- Hashtag a picture holding up a sign with #lovemydetour.
- Share with Amy how this detour changed your life.
- Visit her website at amyoes.com
- Her editor is Tom Fitfer from the TheGoodMenProject.com
Learn the Secret to Living a Truly Amazing Life – No Matter What! (Aaron Kennard, The Positive Thinking Secret)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment