If you’ve ever wanted to be a leader, whether at home at work, or anywhere else in your life, or simply feel stronger on your own two feet, then do we have the Cherokee Wisdom show for you!
Today I’ll be talking with Cynthia M. Ruiz, the City Commissioner of Los Angeles, the former President of the Board of Public Works for Los Angeles with 5000 employees and a budget of 1 billion, and the author of several beautiful books including Cherokee Wisdom: 12 Lessons for becoming a Powerful Leader.
And that’s just what we’ll be talking about today, about lessons for becoming a powerful leader or individual.
That plus we’ll talk about Rosa’s fresh Pizza, a stomp dance and green corn, a grandmother and aunt soon, a loom from uncle bill, a friend of Sequoyah’s, why when your legs are tired, to walk with your heart, and what in the world’s a belly-button check!
MORE ON CYNTHIA M RUIZ:
Cynthia M. Ruiz is an Author, Professor, Commissioner, Inspirational Speaker and Leadership expert. Receiving over 50 accolades and awards for her leadership and service to Los Angeles. She currently serves as a LA City Commissioner overseeing the multibillion-dollar pension portfolio for City employees.
She has received the prestigious Hollywood Chamber “Women of Distinction Award, the HOPE “Ray of Hope” award and the Weingart, “Women Building LA Award. Twice the California Apparel News has listed her on their renowned List of Influential People and LA Weekly showcased her in their people addition.
Cynthia has over twenty years of experience teaching and public speaking. She is the author of “Finding Sane Relationships in a Crazy World” (English & Spanish) a self-help book and “Cherokee Wisdom- 12 Lessons for becoming a Powerful Leader”. She appeared in Discover the Gift (movie/book) with such notables, as is Holiness the Dala Lama, Michael Bernard Beckwith, Jack Canfield and many more.
Her career has placed her in many leadership roles including President of the Board of Public Works for the City of Los Angeles where she had oversight of 5,000 employees and a billion dollar per year budget. She has worked as an Executive at the number one container Port in the US and has successfully run her own business.
Cynthia holds a Masters of Science Degree in Counseling and has completed a Leadership Course at Harvard University, John F Kennedy School of Government.
Coming from blended cultures (Latina and Native American), she enjoys a passion for life and an appreciation of the gifts of Mother Nature.
Cynthia knows the importance of giving back and always strives to stay humble. As a Latina she has a passion for women empowerment. Her Cherokee values have inspired her to teach others the lessons she has learned through her books and workshops.
She lives in Los Angeles where she enjoys the diversity of a metropolitan city.
Cynthia M. Ruiz Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- What’s Cynthia’s connection to Mother Earth, even in Los Angeles
- What is her Cherokee heritage
- Where did her wisdom from Cherokee Elders come from?
- Who was Chief Mankiller, and how did she influence Cynthia’s life?
- What is her Cherokee ancestry?
- How did she become a city commissioner of Los Angeles?
- What’s the importance of meditation to her?
- How does meditation make her more powerful?
- What did she learn from Michael Bernard Beckwtih from the Agape Center about meditation?
- What did she learn from Deepak Chopra?
- What’s the importance of Seven Generations?
- What did she learn from her mother, the LA City & County Native American Indian Commissioner)
- What does it mean to be a leader and are we all leaders?
- What’s it mean to be fearless and why is it so important?
- What did integrity mean to the elders?
- What does it mean to be humble and confident at the same time?
- What’s the importance of a heart family?
- What in the world is a belly button check?
- What does it mean to hold another sacred?
- What’s the law of Reciprocity?
- What is Girls Today, Women Tomorrow http://www.gtwt.org/ ?
- What are the three key ingredients necessary yto reach your goals?
- What can we learn from Sequoyah and the Cherokee Alphabet
- What’s the importance of persistence?
- What’s the importance of commitment?
- What can we learn from Wes Studi, a Cherokee actor in Dancing with Wolves
- What are the Three Sisters?
- A beautiful guided meditation
- For more info visit: http://cynthiamruiz.com/
INSPIRE #470: HOW TO NURTURE YOUR SOUL THRU NATIVE AMERICAN WISDOM! (Robin Kimmerer, “Braiding Sweetgrass”)
INSPIRE #382: FIND LOVE, HAPPINESS & COMPASSION THROUGH ANCIENT VEDIC WISDOM! (Linda Egenes, “The Ramayana”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.