INSPIRE #198: How to Feel Better, Eat Better & Help Save the Planet the Farm Sanctuary Way!
Gene Baur Shares Heart-Warming Stories of Rescued Farm Animals & How We Can All Eat Better, Shop More Humanely & Help Save the Planet By Living the Farm Sanctuary Way.
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY GENE BAUR:
If you love animals, pets, the furry ones, or the scurry ones, or simple enjoy time in nature, watching the birds, or the deer and the antelope roam, then do we have the show for you!
Today we’ll be talking with Gene Baur, animal activist and co-creator of the Farm Sanctuary and author of Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer, and Feeling Better Every Day
Today we’ll talk about the Farm Sanctuary, and the lives of farm animals, plus how to live and eat more humanely and why sheep, cows, pigs and goats, may all make great pets…as long as you have a VERY LARGE back yard!
That plus we’ll talk about Hilda, Jelly Bean, Hope the Pig, Bob Comis’s runt, Snowie and Shotzie, Opie the cow, and the love of Susie’s life, Larry the 3000 pound cow.
MORE ON GENE BAUR:
Gene Baur is co founder and president of Farm Sanctuary, America’s leading farm animal protection organization. TIME magazine calls him “the conscience of the food movement” and he is widely recognized as one of the most influential social justice activists of the 21st century for his work to change the way society views and treats farm animals. He is a national bestselling author, triathlete, and a pioneer in the field of undercover investigations. For nearly 30 years he has traveled extensively, campaigning to raise awareness about the abuses of industrialized factory farming and our cheap food system. Gene’s latest book, published by Rodale, Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer, and Feeling Better Every Day, shares lessons learned from his nearly 30 year career with Farm Sanctuary, which now helps thousands of animals at its three expansive sanctuaries in California and New York. His previous bestseller, Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food, was published by Touchstone in March 2008.
- What’s the story behind Hilda, and how did Farm Sanctuary start?
- What is the rendering industry?
- What happens to farm animals that pass away?
- How they saved Hilda
- Who was Jelly Bean?
- How did Farm Sanctuary get started?
- Watkins Glen
- Orland California
- Near Los Angeles
- Opening one with John and Tracy Steward in New Jersey
- How are cows different than cats and dogs?
- What can people do to source meat humanely?
- Why even free range, organic chickens are de-beaked
- Can a chicken be a lap animal and make a sound like a purr?
- Who was Hope the pig?
- Michael’s experience volunteering on a dairy farm
- What happens to ‘humanely’ treated cows on a large dairy farm
- Bob Comis, the humane pig farmer and the runt that changed his life
- What are a few small steps people can make to change our eating habits just a little
- What is Meatless Monday?
- What’s the eco footprint of eating meat
- Why you could feed 10 people on a vegie diet for the resources it takes to feed 1 person on a meat diet
- What the organic term with meat really means
- Can you have a pet goat?
- Can you adopt a farm animal?
- Why it’s true that sheep need to be sheared each year
- Is there such a thing as ‘scrap leather’ that manufacturers use?
- The story of a pig named Julia
- Who was Larry, the 3000 pound cow who was the ‘love of Suzy’s life’
- Who was Opie the calf?
- How do you humanely feed cats?
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
*Note: On your PayPal statement, you will see your donation made to “RunBare Inc.” Rest assured, your donation is going to the right place. Thank you!
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.