If you’ve ever wanted more motivation, toughness, perseverance or grit, then do we have the show for you!
Today we’ll be talking with Jesse Itzler, business entrepreneur extraordinaire, former rapper, co-founder of Marquis Jets, former Zico coconut water partner, ultra-runner, one of the owners of the Atlanta Hawks and the husband of the founder of Spanx, Sara Blakely. He’s also the best-selling author of one of the funniest, and most-inspiring books out there, Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet.
And that’s just what Jesse Itzler did for 30 days, he invited a navy seal into his Upper West Side Manhattan apartment, not just to scare the Jones’s, but where the man known as SEAL, would train him unforgivingly for 30 days. There was only one rule. “You have to do what I say.”
So today we’ll talk about Jesse’s challenge of Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet, what he had to do, when he had to do it, what he couldn’t do…bet you didn’t know there’s no peeing on a run, and why in the world it matters to the rest of us.
That, plus eating fruit till noon, flashing underwear, 1-800-PLAYMATE, talking one’s way into show biz, and one of the craziest first dates in the world.
MORE ON JESSE ITZLER:
Jesse Itzler only eats fruit until noon, loves Run-D.M.C., and enjoys living life “out of the box,” actually, he doesn’t even have a box. He cofounded Marquis Jet, the world’s largest prepaid private jet card company in 2001, which he and his partner sold to Berkshire Hathaway/NetJets. He then partnered with Zico coconut water, which they sold to The Coca-Cola Company in 2013. He is a former rapper on MTV and he produced and sang both the NBA’s Emmy Award-winning “I Love This Game” music campaign and the popular New York Knicks anthem “Go NY Go.” When he is not out training for his next 100 mile run or being a dad to his three kids, Jesse can be found at the NBA’s Atlanta Hawks games, where he is an owner of the team. He is married to Spanx founder Sara Blakely and the couple and their 3 boys live in Atlanta, Georgia.
Jesse Itzler Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- What’s the secret of the Big Red Chicken?
- How did he meet his wife, Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx
- Why he was inspired to run 100 miles in Spanx
- How did Jesse meet David Goggins (aka SEAL)?
- How he convinced SEAL to train him for a month
- Why Jesse brought David Goggins in to shake up his life
- How Jesse got in a ‘rut’ and the importance of getting ‘uncomfortable’
- Who is David Goggins / SEAL and how did he become the man he is?
- What the first lesson was that David taught Jesse
- What the ground rules were
- How they did NOT ramp up into the program
- How to keep a promise with ones self
- Why it’s all about the journey
- How to make ‘your time’ yours
- How David became the ultimate business closer
- What happened when David met career NBA star Kevin Garnett
- How Jesse got a record deal with Delicious Vinyl
- What’s the story behind 1-800-PLAYMATE and what happened with Howard Stern
- How they jumped into a frozen lake in the middle of the winter
- How Jesse went from 22 pushups to a 1000 a day
- Why bulletproof glass – for your home, is the only way to go.
- What you need to escape from Manhattan
- What was the inner power being built by training with David Goggins
- What’s the 40 percent rule and what does it mean to Jesse now
- How Jesse became comfortable getting uncomfortable
- What’s it mean to protect your primary?
- How did Jesse end up buying the Atlanta Hawks?
- What’s Jesse’s secret for success?
- Why it’s so important to get over the fear of embarrassment, and the fear of being afraid
- Important words of wisdom for future entrepreneurs
How to Throw Out Your Excuses and Live a “No Limits” Life (Kyle Maynard, ESPY Award Winner & Motivational Speaker)
Overcome Any Challenge: Why Artic Explorer Ben Saunders Succeeded, When Everyone Else Died Trying
Iron Cowboy Completes 50 Ironmans in 50 States in 50 Days (An Interview with James Lawrence)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.