If you’ve ever struggled with a great loss in your life, then do we have the Finding Meaning show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with David Kessler, the world’s foremost expert on grief, the co-author of “On Grief and Grieving” and “Life Lessons” with Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, and “You Can Heal Your Heart” with Louise L. Hay, and his latest and perhaps most important creation, “Finding Meaning.”
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about the sixth stage of grief and what it means to all of us.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST BELOW:
OR WATCH THE VIDEO:
BOOKS BY DAVID KESSLER:
MORE ON DAVID KESSLER:
David Kessler is one of the world’s foremost experts on healing and loss. His experience with people on the edge of life and death has taught him the secrets to living a happy and fulfilled life, even after life’s tragedies. He is the author of five bestselling books on grief. His first book, The Needs of the Dying is a #1 best-selling hospice book, praised by Mother Teresa, and he co-authored the two bestsellers: On Grief and Grieving and Life Lessons with the legendary Elisabeth Kübler-Ross.
David’s services have been used by Anthony Perkins, Michael Landon, Elizabeth Taylor, Carrie Fisher, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Marianne Williamson; and his work has been featured on CNN, NBC, Fox, PBS, and Dr. Oz. He’s also a contributing writer for Oprah.com, Dr. Oz’s Sharecare.com, and Anderson Cooper 360.David’s personal experience with grief prompted his professional journey. When he was a child, David witnessed a mass shooting while his mother was dying in a hospital.
In 2016, David’s youngest son died suddenly at 21 years old. He will be sharing his very personal journey of loss and healing in a new book called Finding Meaning: The Sixth Stage of Grief. David continues his work in honor of his son
David Kessler Online: Website
Key Points Discussed:
- What to do to feel better when we are grieving a loved one (03:10)
- Would you mind sharing what happened with your son? (07:01)
- Finding meaning: What we have control over after a loss (12:26)
- What took place on New Year’s Eve ‘72 and the weeks that followed? (15:41)
- The different forms of grief we experience in life (23:00)
- What happens if we try to avoid sadness and grief? (25:13)
- Curiosity about how at the end of life people see loved ones who have already died (27:30)
- How writing allows us to witness our own grief and deal with the thoughts of our mind (33:27)
- Listening to our loved one’s body when it is winding down (37:26)
- The idea that even our most ordinary day could be enough for us (44:12)
- Learning to live with grief in a way that honors those we’ve lost (46:08)
- How do we know when it’s time to be present? (50:54)
- What is Takotsubo/Broken Heart Syndrome? (53:03)
- The year of grief and being present in the season we are in (1:00:03)
- What’s the power of a hug? (1:02:51)
INSPIRE #784: IF YOU’VE EVER LOST A LOVED ONE OR PET, THEN THIS SHOW IS FOR YOU! + Guided Meditation (Julia Samuel, “Grief Works”)
INSPIRE #1015: HOW TO CROSS THE VEIL & COMMUNICATE WITH THE DEAD!!! + Guided Journey! (Christina Rasmussen, “Where Did You Go”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment