Today I’ll be talking with Loretta Breuning PhD, founder of the Inner Mammal Institute, Professor Emerita at Cal State East Bay, and the best-selling author of The Power of Positivity, and Habits of a Happy Brain: Retrain Your Brain to Boost Your Serotonin, Dopamine, Oxytocin, & Endorphin Levels
And that’s just what I want to talk with her about today, about how to retrain your brain to boost your serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin and endorphin levels to help you stay happy, even during these crazy times.
That plus we’ll talk about thinking of feral pigs, satisfying and the Nobel Prize, the importance of judging science fairs, baby chimps and mama’s crumbs, animals breaking into zoos, and what paint by number kits & redecorating have to do with anything!
MORE ON LORETTA BREUNING, PHD:
Loretta Graziano Breuning is founder of the Inner Mammal Institute, which helps people manage the ups and downs of their mammalian brain chemicals. As a professor and a mom, she was not convinced by prevailing theories of human motivation. She learned that our brain chemicals are inherited from earlier animals, and they evolved to reward survival action, not to make you happy all the time. The world suddenly made sense, and she wanted to help others make peace with their inner mammal. She created a wide range of resources, all available at www.InnerMammalInstitute.org.
Dr. Breuning is Professor Emerita of Management at California State University, East Bay. She spent a year in Africa as a United Nations Volunteer, which lead to a global lecture series on her book “Grease-le$$: How the Thrive without Bribes in Developing Countries.” Now she volunteers at the Oakland Zoo, where she gives tours on mammalian social behavior. And she still marvels each day at the overlap between a wildlife documentary and the lyrics to a country western song.
Loretta Breuning, PHD, Online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- What does it mean our brains are wired for survival?
- What do happy chemicals have to do with anything?
- What do we need to know about oxytocin, serotonin, endorphins and dopamine
- What’s the vicious cycle of seeking happiness?
- Why don’t donuts or brownies solve our problems?
- How do we stop the vicious cycle?
- Where does love fit into the happiness equation?
- What can we learn from the animal kingdom about happiness?
- What can we learn about status from the animal kingdom?
- What are the challenges of a newborn baby
- What does mylenation have to do with anything
- What’s so special about a brain before age seven?
- Is there a way to hardwire in happiness?
- What does cortisol have to do with happiness, and why isn’t it so bad?
- Why are early memories so powerful?
- What’s the challenge with computer games (and shopping at themall)
- How do healthy habits help us deal with disappointment?
- What do baby chimps and mama crumbs have to do with one another
- What’s the importance of repetition
- What are habits we can put in the brain for happiness?
- How do we build more happiness into the brain?
- To find out more: https://innermammalinstitute.org/
INSPIRE #469: DON’T WORRY, BE HAPPY THRU THE SCIENCE OF POSITIVITY! (Dr. Loretta Breuning, “The Science Of Positivity”)
INSPIRE #343: The Incredible “Brain Power” of the Heart & How to Harness It! + Meditation! (Howard Martin, “Heart Intelligence”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.