If you’ve ever wanted to rise and heal to a level beyond what you ever thought possible or thought you needed, then do we have the Blue Mind resilience show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with a dear friend and hero, the true keeper of the sea, Dr. Wallace J. Nichols, a visionary, entrepreneurial scientist, renowned marine biologist, voracious earth and idea explorer, wild water advocate, and the best-selling author of one my favorite must-read books and documentaries, “Blue Mind”
Today I want to talk with him about a topic that is near and dear to both of our hearts, rising from the ashes, what it means, how we do it, and why it’s most important to have a mission now more than ever.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST BELOW:
OR WATCH THE VIDEO:
BOOKS BY DR. WALLACE J. NICHOLS:
MORE ON DR. WALLACE J. NICHOLS:
Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols – called a “Keeper of the Sea” by GQ Magazine, “a visionary” by Outside Magazine, a “water warrior” by AQUATICS International, a “friend of the sea” by Experience Life Magazine, and “the godfather of water” by Irish Life Health – is an innovative, silo-busting, entrepreneurial scientist, movement maker, renown marine biologist, voracious Earth and idea explorer, wild water advocate, bestselling author, sought after lecturer, and fun-loving Dad. He also likes turtles (a lot).
Dr. Nichols collaborates tirelessly to create the new story of water and share it with the world. This story includes the vast cognitive, emotional, psychological, social, physical, and spiritual benefits that we can all derive from healthy waters and oceans throughout our lives. In 2017 Fijian Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama presented the Champion of Change Award at the World Oceans Festival on Governor’s Island, New York to Dr. Nichols. “I’m delighted to present this important award to someone who shares my passion and emotional attachment to the health of our oceans”, PM Bainimarama said. Nichols’ experiences and creativity as a field research scientist, government consultant, founder and director of numerous businesses and nonprofit organizations, teacher, mentor, parent, and advisor all support his quest to build a stronger, more inclusive and diverse blue movement.
Formerly a Senior Scientist at Ocean Conservancy, Nichols holds a B.A. degree from DePauw University in Biology and Spanish, an M.E.M. degree in Natural Resource Economics and Policy from Duke University, and a Ph.D. degree in Wildlife Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from the University of Arizona. He received a Bradley Fellowship to study the impacts of sea level rise at Duke University Marine Lab, a Marshall Fellowship to study at the University of Arizona, and a Fulbright Fellowship to study at the Universidad Autonoma de Mexico marine station in Mazatlan. In 2010 he delivered the commencement address at DePauw University where he also received an honorary doctorate in science. In 2011 he was inducted as a Fellow National member of the Explorers Club. In 2014 he received the University of Arizona’s Global Acheivement Award.
Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols Online: Website
Key Points Discussed:
- Losing his home in a wildfire right after his daughter left for college and the letter he wrote her about it that went viral (06:17)
- Building a mighty home where every single thing was meaningful and thoughtful (11:45)
- The stunning and humbling experience of losing all of his material accumulations over his lifetime (16:33)
- Rediscovering his home in a new format and the idea of writing to the spirit of his home and doing some more journaling (19:45)
- The beautiful, unusual, and unexpected storm in California that they were inadequately prepared for (27:31)
- The epitome of resilient beings that is redwood trees (31:07)
- Learning from the cleansing and destructive aspect of fire and how it differentiates from learning from water (35:12)
- Being an activated Pine seed sitting on top of a deep Manzanita root (42:01)
- Understanding the dynamic of the fire, earth, water connection (48:55)
- How he is more clear now on his short and long term mission for healing the water and land (52:06)
- Have you spent time in the water yet and what does it mean to you? (54:47)
- The deep response that all living beings have to “Water or lack of water” (58:29)
- The importance of honoring urgency and recognizing the stress and anxiety it causes (1:01:20)
- What does breath and resilience mean to you? (1:04:48)
- The meaning of the Phoenix rising from the ashes (1:09:39)
- Recognizing when it’s time to get out instead of lingering and losing (1:16:14)
INSPIRE #802: The Surprising Science Behind Water to Make You Happier, Healthier & Better at What You Do! (Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols, “Blue Mind”)
INSPIRE #239: How Water Can Soothe, Heal & Transform Your Life! (Dr. Wallace J. Nichols, “Blue Mind”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment