MORE ON DR. SHAUNA SHAPIRO:
Shauna Shapiro, PhD, is a clinical psychologist and an internationally recognized expert in mindfulness and self-compassion. She is a widely published scholar, and her Tedx Talk on this topic has been viewed well over a million times. She is a professor at Santa Clara University. Dr. Shapiro has published over 150 journal articles and coauthored two previous books, The Art and Science of Mindfulness and Mindful Discipline. Her work has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Mashable, Wired, USA Today, Dr. Oz, the Huffington Post, Yoga Journal, and the American Psychologist. Dr. Shapiro has been an invited speaker for the King of Thailand, the Danish government, Bhutan’s Gross National Happiness Summit, and the World Council for Psychotherapy, as well as for Fortune 100 Companies including Google, Cisco Systems, Proctor & Gamble, LinkedIn, and Genentech. Dr. Shapiro is a summa cum laude graduate of Duke University and a fellow of the Mind & Life Institute, cofounded by the Dalai Lama. Dr. Shapiro lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and can be found at drshaunashapiro.com.
Dr. Shauna Shapiro Online: Website
Key Points Discussed:
- What happened to you when you were 17 and playing volleyball (03:31)
- The waterfall monastery, the English speaking monk, and what Shauna practiced at the monastery (06:18)
- How our entire lives are a meditation and how what we focus on grows stronger (11:01)
- The happiness set point theory; We are as we are (11:52)
- The superhighways of habit versus country roads (14:20)
- The power of focusing our minds and having laser-like attention (18:09)
- Beating ourselves up and the energy it costs us (21:08)
- The myth and disease of perfectionism that we all have in the west today (22:17)
- Learning how to become our own ally and being on our team (25:36)
- How do we apply mindfulness, kindness and common humanity in handling a child’s tantrum? (30:21)
- Working with soldiers with PTSD and the profound story of the soldier who had never spoken (32:14)
- The mistaken belief that self-judgment and shame makes things okay (36:58)
- Practicing forgiveness to free our hearts and what forgiveness really means (39:15)
- How compassion makes us more accountable (43:00)
- Why we often feel worse before we feel better when we start practicing mindfulness (44:21)
- Showing up for the beauty in our lives and training our minds into our being so we can change our happiness set point (47:00)
INSPIRE #1137: HOW TO FIND GREATER PEACE THRU MINDFULNESS! Plus a Guided Meditation (Mark Coleman, “From Suffering To Peace”)
INSPIRE #1118: GET YOUNGER NOW! Roll Back Years & Find More Energy! Plus a Mindfulness Guided Meditation (Dwayne J. Clark, “30 Summers More”)
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.