If you’ve ever wanted to know how to get through this time and even come out ahead, then do we have the Life in the Transitions show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with Bruce Feiler, author of This Life Column for the Sunday New York Times, and of at least six consecutive New York Times Best Sellers, and the author of a mind-blowing, incredibly important and timely new book for each and every one of us, “Life in the Transitions”
And that’s just what I want to talk with him about today, about how to survive and thrive in this nonlinear, flipped upside down, and inside-out world we’re now faced with.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST BELOW:
OR WATCH THE VIDEO:
BOOKS BY BRUCE FEILER:
MORE ON BRUCE FEILER:
BRUCE FEILER is one of America’s most popular voices on contemporary life. He is the author of six consecutive New York Times bestsellers; the presenter of two prime-time series on PBS; and the inspiration for the drama COUNCIL OF DADS on NBC. Bruce’s two TED Talks have been viewed more than two million times. Employing a firsthand approach to his work, Bruce is known for living the experiences he writes about. His work combines timeless wisdom with timely knowledge turned into practical, positive messages that allow people to live with more meaning, passion, and joy. His new book, LIFE IS IN THE TRANSITIONS: Mastering Change at Any Age, describes his journey across America, collecting hundreds of life stories, exploring how we can navigate the growing number of life transitions with greater purpose and skill. It will be published on July 14.
For more than a decade, Bruce has explored the intersection of families, relationships, health, and happiness. His book THE SECRETS OF HAPPY FAMILIES collects best practices from some of the country’s most creative minds. The book was featured on World News, GMA, and TODAY and excerpted in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and Parade. THE COUNCIL OF DADS describes how, faced with one of life’s greatest challenges, he asked six friends to support his young daughters. The book was profiled in PEOPLE, USA Today, and Time and was the subject of a CNN documentary hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
Bruce Feiler Online: Website
Key Points Discussed:
- Are we all in the thick of a massive transition? (03:41)
- Narrative gene ontology: Using storytelling late in our lives to give ourselves meaning (07:28)
- The individual life quakes that a lot of people are going through at this time in addition to the ongoing pandemic (12:32)
- Some of the keys we can use to transition successfully into new ways (17:59)
- The importance of acknowledging the emotions we’re experiencing from whatever we’re going through (22:10)
- Shedding all the “heavy” things in our lives so we can be light enough easily pivot into our new lives (26:36)
- How creativity is helping people deal with the effects of the pandemic and recreate themselves anew? (28:00)
- Realizing that a life quake may or may not be voluntary but that the necessary transition must be voluntary (39:00)
- The three pillars of meaning: Agency, Belonging, and Cause (40:51)
- The accident that was a powerful gift and how it changed Michael’s life (41:48)
- Seeking wisdom from others, the wisdom of grannies, and the types of help people want when they’re in need (44:47)
- The value of unveiling ourselves and the power of life stories (50:23)
- Embracing that it’s the wolf and not the hero, that makes the fairy tale (54:02)
INSPIRE #561: THE HIDDEN MEANING BEHIND THE FIRST LOVE STORY – ADAM & EVE (Bruce Feiler, “The First Love Story”)
INSPIRE #862: DISCOVER “THE STUFF” YOUR INDOMITABLE SPIRIT TO SURVIVE & THRIVE! (Dr. Sampson Davis & Sharlee Jeter, “The Stuff”)
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Leave A Comment