INSPIRE #410: HOW TO FIND HAPPINESS HERE & NOW!!! + Meditation
Joseph Emet on Finding Happiness Here & Now Thru Mindfulness & Thich Nhat Hanh Wisdom! + Guided Meditation!
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY JOSEPH EMET:
Today I’ll be talking with Zen Master Joseph Emet, who’s trained under Thich Nhat Hanh, has a doctorate in Music from BU, and is the author of Buddha’s Book of Sleep, along with several beautiful others, and a new favorite mindfulness book of mine, Finding the Blue Sky: A Mindful Approach to Choosing Happiness Here and Now.
And that’s just what we’ll be talking about today, a mindful approach to choosing happiness here and how.
That plus we’ll talk about practicing Laziness, a BEEing meditation, becoming a professional smiler, the difference between thinking and meditating, where in the world are the happiness police, and why in the world you don’t want to keep poison ivy, thorns or crabgrass in your house.
MORE ON JOSEPH EMET:
Joseph Emet is the author of Sleep Better With Mindfulness Meditation (Tarcher/Penguin),Buddha’s Book of Stress Reduction (Tarcher/Penguin), A Basket of Plums, Songs for the Practice of Mindfulness Meditation (Parallax Press), and Buddha’s Book of Meditation, (Tarcher/Penguin). These books all have forewords by Thich Nhat Hanh. His book on sleep has won an award as the best self-help book of the year in 2013, and has been translated into 10 languages. The French version is entitled En pyjama avec Bouddha, and is published by Les Éditions de l’Homme. His next book, Finding The Blue Sky (Penguin/Random House), will be out in 2016.
Joseph started the Mindfulness Meditation Centre in 1997, because he had found the practice of mindfulness very helpful in his own life, and wanted to share it with others. On January 14, 2003, he was invited by Thich Nhat Hanh to receive the Lamp Transmission as a Dharma teacher. His Dharma name is Dwelling in Peaceful Concentration. He has been trying to live up to that name ever since. Joseph has trained several thousand people in mindfulness practices in large and small groups, for organizations, and in private sessions.
Joseph holds a Doctorate in Music from Boston University. He has been certified in Reality Therapy Counselling with Dr. William Glasser, and has been a Fulbright scholar. He has been a long time T’ai Chi practitioner with Master Lee Shiu Pak, one of the original Yang school students.
- Who is a professional smiler?
- What can we learn from the Dalai Lama
- What can we learn about smiling from Thich Nhat Hanh
- How physical activity can help you be mindful and in the moment
- Why happiness does not depend on your parents
- How does mindfulness help us with disappointment and our expectations
- How is freedom a Buddhist virtue and what does it mean
- What the Buddha means about the sense of self that’s more like a prison
- How do we self-soothe with prayer or meditation?
- What’s it mean to go for the honey?
- What does it mean to cultivate the garden of your heart and how is the Buddha doing so
- Why you can’t meditate with negative emotions – and why you need to be in a positive state of mind
- Why Buddhist meditation is biased to positivity
- How do we get to a place of contentment
- What’s the difference between being positive and positively annoying?
- What’s wrong with the rah-rah positivity books
- How do we water the seeds of happiness?
- How music helps exalt the mind
- What is 2 weeks of compliments?
- How do we stop driving with the brakes on?
- What’s it mean to become need smart?
- What’s it mean to practice ‘laziness’
- How does Thich Nhat Hanh promote laziness?
- What are some of the do’s and don’ts of meditation?
- What’s the power of the word yes?
- What’s the global world calculator?
- To find more from Joseph Emet mindfulnessmeditationcentre.org
- What’s the value of a 3 minute meditation or meditation practice song break
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.