INSPIRE #392: HOW TO TAME YOUR INBOX!
Jocelyn Glei on How to Retake Control of Your Email For Sanity & Success (Time Management)!
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY JOCELYN GLEI:
If you’ve ever felt inundated, overwhelmed, or drowning in email, then do we have the Unsubscribe show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with Jocelyn Glei, productivity, time management and creativity expert, and author of 3 fantastic books, Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, and her latest productivity extravaganza that I’ve PERSONALLY needed to manage my email, Unsubscribe: How to Kill Email Anxiety, Avoid Distractions, and Get Real Work Done.
That plus we’ll talk about rat brains and random rewards, the power of emoticons, nibblers vs. batchers, the importance of a power-nap, why you’d want to send 600 Christmas cards to random strangers, and how not to be an email idiot.
MORE ON JOCELYN GLEI:
Jocelyn K. Glei is a writer who’s obsessed with how we can find more creativity and meaning in our daily work. Her latest book, publishing in Oct 2016, is called Unsubscribe, a modern guide to killing email anxiety, avoiding distraction, and getting real work done. Her previous works include Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, which offer pragmatic, actionable advice for creatives on managing their time, their careers, and their businesses. She was formerly the founding director of the 99U Conference and editor of 99u.com, which earned two Webby Awards for Best Cultural Blog and a rabid fan base of productivity nerds. She lives in Los Angeles and online at jkglei.com.
- What’s wrong with email today
- What B.F. Skinner found about positive rewards and rats (and how that affects our careers and email behavior)
- What is email doing to us from a stress point of view
- When we do not want to check our email
- What’s the importance of writing your to-do list
- What’s the progress paradox and what’s wrong with Inbox Zero
- What’s a negativity bias in email
- What’s an inbox guilt complex?
- What’s the rule of reciprocity?
- What is the Newtonian physics of email
- What is FOMO and what’s it have to do with email?
- How to get your goals up on a board in front of you – to see your long term career, business, and life goals
- What’s a good daily email routine
- What’s a reboot ritual?
- How often should we check our email daily?
- What she learned about checking email from working with writers when at 99u.com
- What’s the importance of setting expectations
- A good way to use folders, but why she doesn’t use them (and what she does you)
- What David Allen’s 2-minute rule has to do with Email (David Allen – Getting Things Done)
- What’s a switching cost
- Why multi-tasking makes us stupid
- What’s an email audit
- How to make pitches, and when is it polite to respond
- What are pitches or emails that provoke action?
- Why we need to take another look at how we write emails
- How do we keep from being an idiot on email?
- Why you want to be as positive as possible via email
- Any advice for parents for kids with their email (or millennials)
- What’s the importance of a technology Shabbat, or an email Shabbat
- How to find Jocelyn Glei – go to www. jkglei.com and jkglei/unsubscribe
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.