INSPIRE #168: How to Heal from Childhood Wounds & Turn Your Health Around!
Donna Jackson Nakazawa, Award-Winning Investigative Journalist Shows How Childhood Wounds Can Create Disease & Auto-Immune Disorders, & What You Can Do to Turn Your Health Around!
Listen to the podcast below!
BOOKS BY DONNA JACKSON KAKAZAWA:
If you suffer from a chronic condition, whether back pain, irritable bowel, arthritic conditions, migraines, thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases, depression and mood disorders, cancer, lyme disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome or chronic pain, or know someone who does, then do we have the show for you.
Today we’ll be talking with a new instant hero of mine, award winning science journalist Donna Jackson Nakazawa, author of
Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal,
The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, a nd My Life and
The Autoimmune Epidemic
Today I want to talk about Childhood Disrupted, how our past can affect our health of today, even 20, 30, or 50 years later. I want to talk about what this really means, what’s going on with our bodies, and what in the world we can do about it, beginning today.
MORE ON DONNA JACKSON NAKAZAWA:
Donna Jackson Nakazawa is an award-winning science journalist and public speaker, whose work explores the intersection between neuroscience, immunology, and the deepest inner workings of the human heart. Her most recent book, Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal (Atria Books / Simon & Schuster, 2015), examines the relationship between childhood adversity and adult physical health, and guides readers facing chronic illness toward healing and transformation. Her other works include The Last Best Cure (Hudson Street Press / Penguin, 2013), in which she chronicles her year-long journey to unlock the restorative powers of the brain; The Autoimmune Epidemic (Touchstone, Simon & Schuster, 2008, 2009), an investigation into the reasons behind today’s rising rates of autoimmune disease; and Does Anybody Else Look Like Me? (Perseus, 2003). Nakazawa lectures nationwide. Learn more at DonnaJacksonNakazawa.com.
- How Donna is doing with 4 auto-immune diseases and long-term injuries
- How her father passed away do to a medical error
- How she went into a silent year – a year without talking, to get through the childhood trauma
- And how she began writing
- How Mrs. Lindow gave her the keys to the teacher’s library to help her get through the year – thank you Mrs. Lindow wherever you are.
- How she began having medical challenges at age 13
- How her health conditions changed after having two children
- What is an ACE and how does it affect children?
- Why childhood trauma is not what we thought it was
- How do we get tested for ACE? (Adverse Childhood Experience)
- Why an ACE is so harmful, and what it does to the body?
- Why growing up with a parent with a mental health disorder or challenge is so hard on the child – and their lifelong health
- What exactly is an adverse childhood experience
- What happens to the brain after an adverse childhood experience
- How it affects our epigenetics, particularly of the brain
- Aren’t we just supposed to try to ‘get over it’ or muscle through these challenges?
- Why this is not just ‘all in the head’
- How do you start to get healthy again?
- Why it’s so important that people take the ACE survey
- Why you should take a resiliency survey
- What are a few key early steps to take
- How Loving Kindness (A Tibetan Buddhist practice) can help.
- How meditation and mindfulness can help
- What Tara Brach has to say about self-love
- How mindfulness based stress reduction (such as by Jack Kornfield) can help
- How to find the thoughts that are turning on yourself.
- How working on self-talk can help
- How to move to the parasympathetic or the ‘purr’ in order to heal
- What happens enters a healing accessible state modalities that previously wouldn’t work, now begin working.
- What ‘small things’ can make a big difference for healing
- What’s the healing power of nature – to take the body out of this fight-or-flight or freeze mode
- What’s the power of forgiveness for healing?
- How healing the psoas can help you heal your heart
- What’s recommended for children who’ve experienced an ACE, or for the children of adults who are struggling
SUPPORT INSPIRE NATION:
Help keep the show going! Every time you shop at Amazon through the link below, we earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Or please consider making a donation through PayPal.
*Note: On your PayPal statement, you will see your donation made to “RunBare Inc.” Rest assured, your donation is going to the right place. Thank you!
Thank You for being a part of this amazing movement!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.